Babice u Rosic

Babice u Rosic

Council

Náves 14
664 84, Babice u Rosic
Tel.: +420 546 431 739
Fax: +420 546 431 739
E-mail: info@babiceurosic.cz
Web: www.babiceurosic.cz

History and present

The earliest mention of Babice was in the year 1228, when Czech king Přemysl Otakar I confirmed in writing the founding of a Cistercian cloister in Oslavany at a place where we can find the castle today. Babice belonged to the Oslavany cloister until 1307, when the cloister of Sedlec u Kutné Hory bought it. Later the village was owned by various owners until it was finally devolved to Rosice. Since 1560 Jan Starší (Jan The Older) from Žerotín was the owner of the whole Rosice manor and in 1628 Karel Starší (Karel The Older) from Žerotín sold the village to Albrecht from Valdštejn. Babice as part of the Rosice manor was owned by 20 various owners in total.

The main form of livelihood of Babice inhabitants used to be the agriculture. Originally, the farm houses formed a u-shaped village square and the buildings’ footprint can still be seen today.. At the turn of the 19th century, the number of inhabitants began to grow following the discovery of black coal and the development of mining. A purely agricultural settlement thus became a village with the largest number of miners and locksmiths in the region.

The coal was originally mined manually from the surface and brought out using a winch from the depth of 25-45 metres. The so-called Heritage drift went from Zastávka southwards down to the Skříňka u Babic forest and connected with other seven drifts. As such mining was very demanding and uneconomical, the new Ferdinand´s shaft with mining machine was established by the village in 1856. Although the above mentioned drifts and shafts were destroyed long time ago, the holes and ramparts of piles can still be seen in the forest today. They remind us of the economic expansion of this region.

Interesting sights

Saint Anthony of Padua Chapel
People say that a little bell tower with a brick bottom and wooden top complete with a bell stood in the village square. Two lime trees have been standing in front of the bell tower until present days. In 1863 a new chapel replaced the little old bell tower. The chapel originally contained two bells but they were transformed into cannons during the World War II. In 1943, a smaller bell was made for the chapel and remains there until present. In 1925 the shabby shingled tower roof had to be repaired and the original onion shape of the tower was changed into the current spire covered by sheet metal.




The Cross Memorial of Napoleon´s Army’s Departure
Napoleon´s wars afflicted the life of this region very much. When the Emperor Franz I after occupation of Vienna fled to Brno in 1805, Austrian and Russian troops and also Napoleon´s army started to come to this city. The first squad of French army appeared in Babice on 19th November 1805 and the following day the Emperor Napoleon with his guards passed through the gate of Brno. In honour of the French army’s departure the natives raised a memorial cross on the road to Rosice. The monument bears the names of the Rosice aldermen. In 1882 a plum orchard was planted around the cross in memory of crown prince Rudolf’s engagement. According to the resolution of the local Municipal Office the park was named “Rudolf´s Park”.




The Ferdinand shaft
Northwest from the village lies the Ferdinand´s shaft, where the black coal was mined from 1862 to 1955. Maximum transport depth of the shaft was 794 metres and the mine had 8 floors. The remains of mining buildings as well as the pile still witness the mining activities of the bygone era. The pile material was also used to refill the mine during its closure in 1922.



Dining

Hostinec Pivnice / Restaurant Pivnice
Náves 14
Tel.: +420 546 431 753

Cultural amenities

Hostinec Pivnice / Restaurant Pivnice
Náves 14
Tel.: +420 546 431 739

Traditional events

Březen
• Retro zábava

Září
• Gulášfest

Downloads

Download file

Guide-book
Guide-book for Babice u Rosic