Hutní osada 14
664 84, Zastávka
Tel.: +420 546 429 048
Fax: +420 546 429 048

History and present

Zastávka is one of the youngest villages of the South Moravian region. It was founded in 1875 to promote black coal mining in the area and was originally called Boží Požehnání (God’s Blessing). The current name of “Zastávka” was given after the creation of independent Czechoslovakia. The current name is related to the inn that used to stay in this area and where drivers used to stop on their way from Brno to Jihlava and that was simply called “Zastávka” (“a stop”).

The first written record about the coal discovery around Zastávka comes from the year 1769. Mining itself started 19 years later and continued for almost another 180 years. The municipality lies in the north part of the former Rosice-Oslavany coal area. This is one of the oldest and smallest black coal mining areas but one with the highest coal quality in the Czech Republic.

Local metal works also helped to develop mining in the area as it used locally produced coke. Three settlements of apartment houses, Stará (1853), Hutní and Nová (both 1862) were build for the miners and thus Zastávka became the center of the mining life. Thanks to this “black gold” a railway track connecting Boží Požehnání to Brno was built in 1852-1855. It was one of the first local railways in the Czech lands. The local coal was transported to Brno and also to Vienna.

The municipality now counts 2 500 inhabitants and displays a rich community life. Both sporting unions (Čechie and Sokol) and also a fire-brigade have long traditions. Zastávka’s history has also been intertwined with local education that began already in 1865, hence the book in its coat of arms.

Interesting sights

Julius Mine
Julius mine was one of the most important mines of the Rosice-Oslavany area. The mining tower and the coal washery towering above Zastávka became a symbol of the village for several generations. Apart from coal mining, egg-shaped coal briquets were also made here. The so-called „Zastávka buns“ were made of coal dust mixed with resin. The mine was closed in 1992.

St John the Baptist Chapel
The current chapel stands on a place where the so-called Cechhaus used to stand. Miners assembled there before going down the Julius mine and received their daily working instructions. Later, a shop opened there and in 1911 the building was reconstructed into a chapel consecrated to St. John the Baptist, the patron saint of miners.

Stone House
The original stone house that stands at the end of the village in the direction of Vysoké Popovice was built by František Pospíšil in 1911 to replace a demolished house. In 1937, an addition was built and used as a butcher´s shop. Today it is a private house.

Red House
This non-traditional house was built in 1920 by the Rosice mining company for four miners´ families. In fifties it was listed as a protected building and today serves as a residential building.


Hotel a restaurace Harmonie
Cukrovarská 1230
Tel.: +420 546 429 374

Dům dětí a mládeže
Kopečky 115
Tel.: +420 546 429 035


Hotel a restaurace Harmonie
Cukrovarská 1230
Tel.: +420 546 429 374

Restaurace Dělnický dům
Babická 139
Tel.: +420 546 429 224

Restaurace na hřišti
Kopečky 512
Tel.: +420 777 034 430

Klub KSM – Hospoda
1.máje 118

Sports facilities

TJ Sokol
Stará Osada 162
Tel.: +420 724 533 471

Dům dětí a mládeže
Kopečky 115
Tel.: +420 546 429 035

Stará osada 571
Tel.: +420 774 375 528, Jana Pezlar
Tel.: +420 732 602 720, Lucie Volánková

Cultural amenities

U Školy 440
Tel.: +420 546 249 755

Dělnický dům
Babická 139
Tel.: +420 546 429 224

Regionální informační centrum
U Nádražní 36
Tel.: +420 530 502 660

Traditional events

• Absolvenský ples

• Aprílový běh lesoparkem

• Zastávecký majáles

• Zastávecká pouť

• Tradiční víceboj v netradičních sportech

• Otevřené mistrovství Zastávky v chůzi na chůdách

• Hornický den
• Den s gymnáziem

• Dny Zastávky aneb jarmark zapomenutého a nezapomenutého

• Zpívání pod stromem s ohňostrojem


Download file

Guide-book for Zastávku